Frost

7 responses to “Frost

1. Ted C. MacRae January 23, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Gorgeous! I love how the frost on the fir needles in the last photo form tree-like growths off the tips of the needles – I’ve never seen anything like that.

• The Geek In Question January 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM

It was truly fantastic. Earlier that morning, there was a low fog hanging about 10 ft off the ground too…incredibly surreal (sadly I was preoccupied with the three-legged one and a contractor and missed out on the chance for photos).

2. Christie January 23, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Beautiful photos! I love the ice against the blue sky.

3. Marvin January 24, 2010 at 5:29 AM

Beautiful. Was the frost deposited by freezing fog?

• The Geek In Question January 24, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Thank you for the comment, Marvin.

Now you’ve got me thinking (and researching)…what I assumed was hoar frost, may in fact have been a different phenomenon called “soft rime”. Soft rime is a type of frost resulting from fog droplets freezing on the object, usually only on the windward side, forming spike-shaped ice crystals. Given the shape of the ice and the one-sided deposition, plus the presence of fog…perhaps I have misidentified my frost?

Either way, it was very pretty :-)

• Marvin January 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I’m no expert, but my searching returned basically the same results as yours. Hoar frost is a thin, crystalline layer of frozen dew and rime describes a thicker accumulation of ice crystals as would be formed by freezing fog. None of these terms seem to be commonly used with a great deal of scientific precision, though. (My source.)

But, but, but….

We agree. The “frosting” is beautiful, especially when view against that ever-so-blue sky. :-)

4. Rachel January 25, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Great photo’s, Crystal! Love the ice on the trees.