Frost

I was greeted by an absolutely STUNNING morning yesterday…sunshine, blue skies and one of the most gorgeous displays of hoar frost I’ve ever seen.  Every tree was adorned with brilliant white crystals…truly a winter wonderland.

7 responses to “Frost

1. Ted C. MacRae January 23, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Gorgeous! I love how the frost on the fir needles in the last photo form tree-like growths off the tips of the needles – I’ve never seen anything like that.

• The Geek In Question January 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM

It was truly fantastic. Earlier that morning, there was a low fog hanging about 10 ft off the ground too…incredibly surreal (sadly I was preoccupied with the three-legged one and a contractor and missed out on the chance for photos).

2. Christie January 23, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Beautiful photos! I love the ice against the blue sky.

3. Marvin January 24, 2010 at 5:29 AM

Beautiful. Was the frost deposited by freezing fog?

• The Geek In Question January 24, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Thank you for the comment, Marvin.

Now you’ve got me thinking (and researching)…what I assumed was hoar frost, may in fact have been a different phenomenon called “soft rime”. Soft rime is a type of frost resulting from fog droplets freezing on the object, usually only on the windward side, forming spike-shaped ice crystals. Given the shape of the ice and the one-sided deposition, plus the presence of fog…perhaps I have misidentified my frost?

Either way, it was very pretty :-)

• Marvin January 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I’m no expert, but my searching returned basically the same results as yours. Hoar frost is a thin, crystalline layer of frozen dew and rime describes a thicker accumulation of ice crystals as would be formed by freezing fog. None of these terms seem to be commonly used with a great deal of scientific precision, though. (My source.)

But, but, but….

We agree. The “frosting” is beautiful, especially when view against that ever-so-blue sky. :-)

4. Rachel January 25, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Great photo’s, Crystal! Love the ice on the trees.