I could listen to this over and over and over again x infinite.

Oh wait. I just did. Emily Haines’ voice makes me all swoony.  *swoon*

I randomly emailed my little brother to express my unwavering love for the epic-ness that is Metric.  His reply:

Holy Fuck guess what I’m listening to right now? AAAHHHHHH

Holy Fuck indeed, how wooooooooo.

7 responses to “Wherein the protagonist attempts to redeem herself musically and discovers inter-sibling psychic connection.

1. R November 4, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Wow. Awesome voice. And why are you just now sharing this with me?!

2. Who, me? November 4, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Um, 'cause I'm a douche?

3. JacErnst November 9, 2009 at 9:06 AM

so your little bro is pretty sawsome with the music! he seems to always pick the best road music too.. lol

4. AJ March 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I’ve read on-line that Emily Haines has been a member of two groups, in addition to fronting her own band. Of all her releases, what album of hers would you recommend I purchase first? (Yes, I am an old geezer who still buys her music in CD format.) With some artists, it seems best to start at the beginning of their careers, while with others, one album serves to really define their existence – so i’d really appreciate your suggestion. Thank you for putting her on your blog – I doubt I would’ve ever discovered her on my own.

• TGIQ March 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Ooohhh, this is a toughie. There are very different sounds on her albums…

Hm. I think my current preference is for Metric’s most recent album, but that’s probably because I’m in the mood for something a little harder, with a good beat, something I can crank in the car and belt out to my tone-deaf heart’s content. You get the acoustic versions of two songs on it as well (both most excellent).

Generally, though, whatever you pick is going to be a safe choice I think. The musical style is unique and sometimes unsettling, but always intelligent and thoroughly fun to listen too…lots of “layers”, and a beautiful voice.

If I were you (and since I don’t know your musical preferences), I would go snoop around on iTunes and listen to the clips from the albums to get a sense of the “mood” on each. I like them all 🙂

5. AJ March 20, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Thank you for the advice! I went to iTunes as you suggested, listened to a whole bunch of clips, and ultimately decided to go with Metric’s “Live It Out.” I’m pretty sure I’ll soon be singing along to “Monster Hospital” and “Handshakes” in the shower (the place I typically – and gleefully – allow my own tone-deafness out). I’m hoping to have the CD in my mailbox by Wednesday, and I’m certain I’ll be ordering more of her albums in the near future. Thank you again!