Animal, vegetable or mineral?

Seriously, I have no clue what I’m looking at here, so help me out.

A big one

These structures were on the beach next to the river (I seem to find all the coolest stuff down there).  They ranged in size from about 5mm across to maybe 20mm.  Sometimes they would be arranged in small cluster of 3-6.   The outer layer seemed to be sand, and the inner layer was completely smooth and a greyish off-white.  The whole thing, when handled and broken apart,  had a thickness and consistency that reminded me of one of those Kinder Egg candies.

A small one

11 responses to “Animal, vegetable or mineral?

1. Ted C. MacRae August 1, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I’m guessing fungal fruiting bodies.

2. Steve Willson August 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I agree with Ted. It looks like one of the cup fungi. I’ve seen Pyxie Cup, Geopyxix carbonaria, and it closely resembles what you found.

3. Ruth Fitzpatrick August 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM

my first thought was some sort of barnacle… you said they were on the beach – do they get wet? I had thought tides, but it’s a river…

4. allthingsbiological August 4, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Is there a local fungus person (funguy, get it?) who can offer an opinion?

• TGIQ August 6, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Not that I know of, not professionally anyways…but there is a wildlife officer who knows the land and flora/fauna pretty well…I’ll ask him next time I see him.

5. Katie September 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Hey, TGIQ. Are you still alive? Just wondering since I haven’t seen any new posts from you in a while.

6. Out On The Prairie September 16, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Looks like a puffball thats blown its lid.