Ehhh…um…hi…*blush*

Dear Lovely People Who Read This:

So I just realized it’s been nearly a month and a half since my last post.

A fracking month and a HALF.  I usually hyperventillate if I miss a week, let alone five or six.

I’m not entirely sure what happened here…I had a frantically wonderfully busy final two weeks in Kug, much of which was spent teaching and working with the local high school students.  There was lots of

and

and

And then somehow I found time to spend a great day spent with students from ArcticNet’s Schools on Board Program, from which ensued a bunch of

and

and

And then there was a whirlwind of final trap collections, gear dissembly, a short-term move from my summer apartment to shared accomodations with my new friend Danielle (a high school teacher with a big heart and a spare room).   Boxes of specimens were shipped south ahead of me, a last round of litter extractions were conducted, equipment was packed, my Honda got stolen (only for a little while) and basically I spent the last week or so trying to soak in as much Kug-y-ness as I could, getting all dewey-eyed every time I realized, “this is the last time I’ll see THIS”.    As much as I was very very much excited about returning home, that dusty little oceanside hamlet and all the raw beauty surrounding it had weasled its way into my heart.

There was an entirely uneventful journey southward: Yellowknife to Edmonton then home.  My wife looked beautiful when she met me at the airport.  I was all googly-eyed at the incredible amount of GREEN and TREES and ASPHALT and STUFF during the drive home.

We pulled into the driveway; our home and gardens looked wonderful.  I got out of the passenger seat and hid, crouched down behind the car.  My wife unleashed the hounds, and three dogs found me behind the car and knocked me on the ground and KISSED ME TO DEATH and CRIED and MOANED and SMILED and WAGGED and then forgot all about me at dinner time.

I had a beer or three, and a gorgeous bbq chicken dinner.  I slept like a log.

Since then, I think I’ve just been basking in the simple joy of being HOME.  Home with my favourite person in the world and my furry crew and our simple, lovely existence in the country.   Then my mother-in-law’s apartment needed to be packed for a move.  Then suddenly it was September and the fall term at The University was starting and I was teaching again.   Then our cat Boo got very sick (she’s kinda sorta better-ish but we’re not sure for how long)…

and then all of a sudden it was 6 weeks since my last post.

So, um, yeah.  Sorry about that.

I’ve barely even picked up my camera since I returned to the south.  NOT EVEN THE CAMERA!  I think I’m ready to get back to my usual routine and return to regular blogging.  If any of you are still around to read this, thank you for putting up with me.  It’s greatly appreciated.    Hope to share more with you all soon, and I hope you all had a great summer.

Yours truly,

TGIQ

15 responses to “Ehhh…um…hi…*blush*

1. Ted C. MacRae September 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Life happens – don’t sweat it!

People blog for different reasons, but no one should do it out of guilt – blog because you want to, not because you feel guilty if you don’t.

Welcome back! 🙂

2. Adrian Thysse September 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Welcome back! I was wondering what had become of you. Love that group shot on the landscape. 🙂

3. Morgan Jackson September 12, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Glad to hear the rest of your summer went well! Good luck with the starting of term and can’t wait to read more about your work.

4. Andrea J. September 13, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Sounds like you had an excellent summer, and we can hardly fault you for not blogging.

Also, I’ve been meaning to thank you for the shiny, shiny present you sent my way.

5. Jason September 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I’m here! Still reading your stuff, too. 🙂

I laughed when you wrote, “…when I returned to the South.” Most people don’t usually talk like that until they’ve lived up North for a few years. Looks like something rubbed off on you. 🙂

Glad you’re back.

• TGIQ September 14, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I’m, like, totally down with the northern lingo and stuff…watch:

“country food”

“Honda”

“Bug dope”

Um….ok, maybe that’s it. But seriously, I could live there, I think. I’d have to see what a long, dark, northern winter is like first, but I’d be willing to give it a shot. In the meantime, I’m very, very happy about going back next summer

6. Joy K. September 18, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Don’t sweat taking a break. I notice that my last update was not too far from yours. Our weather has been so hot that I just haven’t really wanted to go outside. Well, that, and we’ve suddenly become goat-ranchers, which has taken up rather a lot of our time.

I do know that forcing yourself to do an entry when you’d rather not results in a not-so-great blog. I can scan back over my blog and tell which entries were written because I really wanted to write, and which ones were written because I felt like I just “needed” to do an update for some reason.

It’s great to see that you’re back safe and sound, though. I”m looking forward to reading more. As for the dancing ants: no idea what they’re up to!