Nature Photography Tips – Part 1

Listen up, kids.  Today’s Tip is a doozy.

Tip #1: If you don’t bring the camera you can’t take pictures of nature.

For example, let’s say you’re walking in the woods with the dogs, blissed out on all the white floofiness of everything, when you hear a cacophony of screaming blue jays.  You don’t think much about it; jays are pretty common-place.  But something causes you to look up, and you realize the jays are not screaming at YOU, they’re screaming at THIS:

*INSERT AWESOME PHOTO OF OMG AN AMAZING HUGE OWL IN PLAIN SIGHT STARING CALMLY RIGHT BACK AT YOU*

Ah, see how that works?  No camera = no awesome photo = very very sad you and no picture to accompany ranty self-pitying blog post.

So, kids, remember: ALWAYS BRING THE FRACKING CAMERA.

AUGH.

13 responses to “Nature Photography Tips – Part 1

1. jason December 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM

LMAO! Been there, done that.

2. Margarethe December 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Seems to be the surest way to find the most unusual motive: leave your camera at home. Just like forgetting your umbrella,and it WILL rain (note: this always works in Germany, but never in Arizona, sigh!)

3. Warren December 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM

that’s why you always bring your phone. what if some old person is having a heart attack on the path and you need to call 911? what if that person is you?

4. dragonflywoman December 20, 2010 at 8:50 PM

And that right there is why I started lugging a heavy, bulky camera with me everywhere I go! This always, ALWAYS happens on the days I don’t have it with me though. Glad to know everyone else seems to have this problem too!

• TGIQ December 21, 2010 at 7:36 AM

I have to try not to let this happen again…but yeah, it’s mostly the bulkiness…sometimes when my hands are full of dogs I don’t feel like slinging a camera too…

5. Chris Grinter December 21, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Haha this sounds like my rule of never go outside without a net! And, now that I have a good camera I will have both hands full – so what’s more important, picture…or specimen… (frozen, moth flies off).

• TGIQ December 21, 2010 at 7:37 AM

This was my dilemma all summer! My job was to collect, not photograph…so many things would have made excellent pictures, but I was so scared of losing the specimens!!!

6. mthew January 4, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Too true. Saw my first ever beaver logging work, quite fresh, in the snow of Haverhill, MA, a week or so ago and now it only exists in my memory. Which, um, isn’t a bad thing.