Forgotten Photo Friday: predator, eggs (Asopinae)

A clutch of eggs deposited on a sweet cherry tree leaf, guarded by a yellow, web-spinning overseer…

The eggs, however, don’t belong to the spider. The iridescent cluster was deposited by a predatory stink bug (Pentatomidae: Asopinae).

12 responses to “Forgotten Photo Friday: predator, eggs (Asopinae)

1. biobabbler January 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM

ooh, such super cool eggs. what an awesome little scene. it’s a complex world, eh? =)

• TGIQ January 28, 2011 at 9:11 PM

They are by far some of the coolest insect eggs I’ve ever encountered. The photos don’t do them justice, really – they had a real pearlescent blue/purple sheen. Quite amazing…and to add to the complexity, the leaf damage was caused by slug-like sawfly larvae, which I may feature next week 🙂

2. Adrian Thysse January 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Wow! Much shiny! They look like splashing drops of liquid, frozen. Makes me look at stink bugs in a new (non-stinky) light.

3. MObugs41 January 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Perhaps the spider is a future planner and is awaiting the hatching of the eggs for a handy little snack.
    These are gorgeous eggs, they look like something you would find in the depths of the ocean.

• TGIQ January 29, 2011 at 12:18 PM

That would be one smart spider! (Or perhaps a stupid one…it’s hanging out over what will soon be a few dozen little hunters…a tad outnumbered?)
      I also was reminded of anemones or something of that ilk…

4. Morgan Jackson January 28, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Very cool Geek! Nice spotting!

• TGIQ January 29, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Thanks Morgan 🙂 They were hard to miss – so SHINY! Also, thanks for alerting me to that guardian.uk blog list – that’s so cool! (I really need to learn Twitter better, I would have missed it otherwise!)

5. Pingback: Tweets that mention Forgotten Photo Friday: predator, eggs (Asopinae) « Fall To Climb -- Topsy.com

6. Ted C. MacRae January 29, 2011 at 9:05 AM

You should’ve saved this for April Fools Day and done a post on how cool it was that this spider was guarding her eggs (sounding all serious and everything). Okay, that would be mean!

• TGIQ January 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Ted, I am wounded that you would think I’m that devious 😦 No, seriously though, that’s a fun idea. Hehehehe…I’ll have to see if I have any other goodies like that!

7. Pingback: Tuesday Tunes – Bugs – Pearl Jam » Biodiversity in Focus Blog