Little help?

282927262524
232221201918
171615141312
11109876

BugShot, a set on Flickr.

Having submitted my thesis proposal to my examination committee on Monday morning (eep!) and the book chapter I’ve been working on Monday evening (aak!), I decided that some battery recharging was in order yesterday. I took my poor, bored, bored dogs for a nice long walk in the very wet and muddy woods, and breathed fresh air and oggled at all the lush greenery and stroked dew-covered moss and sniffed the pungent fragrence of stink bugs and listened to the birdsong (I learned that rose-breasted grosbeaks sound remarkably like robins and wondered how many I’ve neglected to notice). There is truly nothing better for reinvigorating a tired brain and stimulating desk-dulled senses. Ahhhhh, much better.

After that lovely jaunt, I was inspired to get off my butt and get working on my submission for the BugShot workshop taking place this September; I’m applying for a student waiver. I’ve put together a “short” (heh) list of 32 possible entries in a Flickr set, which I have numbered for your convenience. Yep, I’m recruiting all you lovely buggy and nature-ey and photography-ey people: I’d love to hear your thoughts on which ones you like best, to help narrow down the list to a top 10. (Click on any of the images up there to go to the flickr set, it’s easier to scroll through them quickly there).

All right, procrastination over…T-minus 12 days to comps!!!

15 responses to “Little help?

1. Morgan Jackson May 18, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Are you sure you can’t enter all 31? Cause they’re awesome! If you must narrow them down, these would be my picks:
    2 4 5 7 11 13 14 23 29 31

4, 11, and 31 are definitely my top 3 fav’s!

2. TGIQ May 18, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Thanks Morgan!!! 🙂 I’ll add your votes to my spreadsheet. (Yes, I have a spreadsheet. So there.)

3. dragonflywoman May 18, 2011 at 8:35 PM

My faves:

1, 11, 12, 13, 19, 20, 24, 25, 27, 31

Love them! Especially 11, 19, and 31.

4. biobabbler May 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM

ah, what fun. Nice assignment you give folks. =) And re: bird song, yes, if you know robin songs, and hear a robin-like song, but it’s a little more complicated/fancy, it’s probably a grosbeak. =) Great to know ’cause I hardly EVER see them vs. robins, so it clues you into a potential treat. Your hike sounds WONderful. Happy for you and your dogs. =)

• TGIQ May 18, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I noticed the added complexity of the song…there were a few extra pauses and some running notes…and a little “chip” right at the start. I think I’ll be able to tell them apart if I hear them again. This was only the second time I’ve ever seen a grosbeak; the other one was last summer, when one bonked into my window and I kept it safe from the other critters until it flew away. That was pretty cool because I got to take a really good look at it :).
      So what are YOUR fave pics? 😛

5. biobabbler May 18, 2011 at 9:12 PM

k: 29 (kills me I love it SO much, so much personality and form!!), 19 (perfect!), 18 (ditto), 16, 15 (16 & 15 kinda similar re: bug/light flowers, etc. but both great), 14, 12, 10, 8, 6/4 (6 & 4 = 1 selction ’cause same subject, #6 I think the light is a bit better, and I prefer that direction/angle, BUT #4 I think is sharper on the bug and it’s form, and you have both holes completely in the frame which I prefer, so YOU pick).

And I must say that tho’ #12 is “just” flies, it is SUCH an ART picture it REALLY looks like a painting. It’s a-MAY-zing. Be sure and let us know how it goes! =)

• TGIQ May 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Thank you for the thorough critique!!!

I’m with you on the 4/6 debate. I’ve been looking at 4 and thinking I should flip it and maybe recrop just a tad. Thank!

6. biobabbler May 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM

ps btw, tho’ I think #9 is AWEsome and has AMAZING lighting and mind boggling clarity, the cute-bee-in-flower motif is fairly common. but, it IS beautiful, so…

• TGIQ May 18, 2011 at 9:27 PM

I’m with you on this one too. Technically, it’s a pretty great picture (although the second flower is kind of messy in terms of composition)…but yeah, bee + flower is kind of old. 😛

7. Troy Bartlett May 18, 2011 at 9:17 PM

My top 4 in order are 2, 21, 29, 16.

8. A. Jaszlics May 19, 2011 at 12:24 AM