I have a new flash. It makes me gleeful.

So I went out and blew some dough on a gently used Canon 430EX I flash. It’s a little slower than the EX II, but it’ll do for now.

I have no complaints about it at all, really.  It lets me do things that I couldn’t do before. Such as this:

And this:
And this:

So yeah. Like, really, totally no complaints (<3 ❤ ❤ !!!)

Oh, and for the record, I don’t have a “real” diffuser or flash bracket. Here’s my homemade super-ghetto cardboard/scotch tape/drafting paper/elastic band solution…this is what I’m using until the good stuff comes in the mail. (Yes, I go out in public with this thing!)

Isn't it beautiful? (Taken with my camera phone, lol).

Thank you, BugShot 2011, for inspiring me and for draining my wallet.

Well, um, maybe not that last bit…it’s not really your fault…but if you hadn’t shown me about flashes and stuff…well, it’s not really your fault. Let’s just leave it at that.

14 responses to “I have a new flash. It makes me gleeful.

1. dragonflywoman September 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Nice! I still want to get a big flash for the top of my camera, so I’m envious… Love the photos!

2. Ted C. MacRae September 22, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Geez, those are great! I can’t believe you’re producing photos like that this quickly – it took me 2 years to get the flash thingy figured out (still not sure about that last part).

• TGIQ September 27, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Well, I also started using a flash immediately after spending a weekend basking in the glory of folks like Alex, Thomas, John, you, and others…osmosis is a wonderful thing!

3. Warren September 22, 2011 at 4:13 AM

the best bug photographers in the world use homemade diffusers. nice pics chiquita

4. Morgan Jackson September 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Loving the syrphid! Fantastic portrait, and the lighting is sweet! Also love the diffuser!

• TGIQ September 27, 2011 at 7:44 AM

I’m glad someone likes the flies! Actually, I’m finding myself taking lots of pictures of flies now…weird. Thank you for loving my diffuser 😛

5. Scott September 26, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Looks like you are making good use of the flash ! Don’t knock your current rig, I’ve tried a bunch of the commercial ones and always end up back with my plastic tub and paper towel.

6. TGIQ September 27, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Thanks, Scott! This little thing is working pretty well for me, but I worry about stuff like rain, tree branches (you know, nature) damaging it. I may have to come up with something a little more sturdy (but equally ghetto).

7. Pingback: Forgotten Photo Friday – Oblong-winged Katydid « The Bug Geek