Get ’em hooked while they’re young…

Get ’em hooked on bugs while they’re young, I say.

Emmerson and a monarch butterfly friend. Photo: Elaine Lewis (a.k.a my Mom).

Young Emmerson meets a monarch at the Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory in Ontario. (They’ve got an event called BugFeast coming up for the March Break – if you’re in the neighbourhood you can get your entomophagy on!)

Now, I was not there personally to witness this potentially life-altering event, but my mom was, and she took this picture.

And she hinted that her picture should go on my blog.

And, since, she’s my mom, here it is :).

8 responses to “Get ’em hooked while they’re young…

1. jessofthebugs March 7, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Adorable! With the offspring, I was showing her insects very early on and she’s grown up with no fear of them at all. We had a cicada emergence a couple years ago and through it all, she very calmly picked them off and let them go while her friends were loosing their cool.

• TGIQ March 8, 2012 at 6:23 AM

Well done!!! My parents were pretty hands-off about insects, but they also didn’t discourage me when I repeatedly turned up at home with them in jars and my pockets. Perhaps your daughter is an entomologist in the making? 😀

2. Alex Webb March 8, 2012 at 1:06 AM

This is almost totally unrelated, but are you confirmed for Bugshot yet?

• TGIQ March 8, 2012 at 6:23 AM

ALMOST unrelated, but not quite. I am TOTALLY confirmed. You?

• Alex Webb March 9, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Yay! Yeah, I’ll be there. Looking forward to hearing your grad life stories. Also, I want to know about some of the spiders that wound up in your beetle collections from way up North. See you very soon!

• TGIQ March 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Awesome! It’s going to be such a great workshop! I’ll try to brush up on my spider knowledge before coming – two other people in my lab are working on those! (This I know: there are LOTS) 😉

3. Neil March 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Oh man… Do you think that butterfly is trying to tell us something about your kid? Seriously, maybe he’s trying to warn us that he’s actually body swapper in disgise! OR maybe your son has the ability to secrete nectar from his forehead!

haha… jk jk. Cute picture though!