Photo Friday: Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis

Yesterday, my wife called for me to come upstairs: “Come see!”

This usually can be translated to mean: “There’s a bug up here for you!”, so I hustled up the stairs and found her pointing at a large, leggy shape lumbering across the carpet.

For a second, I was disappointed. What a cruel trick. “Ew. Spider.”

But then I got a little closer and realized it was something not at all icky spidery. It was a Western Conifer Seed Bug (Leptoglossus occidentalis), readily recognized by its lovely earthy colors and fancy hind feet.

Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis

Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis

These often come indoors to visit us, presumably to avoid bad weather (silly thing, it’s so lovely out right now!).Β  Weather permitting, we always escort them back outside. I released this guy on a branch of our cherry tree in the back yard. He hung out there for a few minutes before flying off, all gangly legs and buzzing wings, toward the stand of white pine on the other side of the fence.

Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis

Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis

10 responses to “Photo Friday: Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis

1. Jon Q March 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Yes I get calls at all hours of the night when a Polyphylla decemlineata or Lucanus mazama (both incredibly common in the summer months where i live) flies to their porch lights, hahaha! cruel trick πŸ˜€ oh my, patience with non-entomologists can lead to success at times, which is pretty much the reason why i have it πŸ˜‰ nice post.

• TGIQ March 26, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Well, I guess it’s a matter of perspective – I just googled those two species and was all, “Oooooh, SHINY!” I’ve never seen either one, and would probably get super geeked-out over them πŸ™‚

2. Kimberly Hosey (Arizona Writer) March 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Aww, what’s wrong with spiders?

Still, really cool bug! Looks kind of like a wheel bug. Love the legs!

• TGIQ March 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Nothing (much) is wrong with spiders (as long as they’re not too creepy). *ahem* It’s closely related to a wheel bug – I met that particular critter for the first time when I was at BugShot last year, but I was warned not to handle them due to the bitey-ness. I’ve handled lots of these Westerns, though, and have never had any issues. πŸ™‚

3. africagomez March 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Beautiful portraits! I love these bugs, although they are invasive in Europe – presumably transported here with Christmas trees – and I also found one inside the house (http://abugblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/on-western-conifer-seed-bug-and.html). Apparently, they are attracted to lights, and often fly at night, which explains how they get into houses.
    And I agree with Kimberly, I can’t believe you don’t like spiders after your wonderful photos of jumping spider courting.

• TGIQ March 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Thanks! I saw that they’re invasive overseas, yes. A bit of a bummer…are they terribly pesty there?
      As for the spiders, jumping spiders are not on my list of gross and creepy spiders. They are, I agree, entirely adorable. πŸ˜‰

4. Pingback: Seeing the Pretty – Find a Friendly Rock

5. Serri March 16, 2017 at 2:49 PM

I just love finding others who can “see the pretty” in a bug, and you write so prettily about it, too.

I took the liberty of quoting you and back-linking here: https://friendlyrock.com/2013/03/03/seeing-the-pretty/

Thanks for a nice post!