BugShot 2012!

I am one excited geek right now: in just a few days, I’ll be hopping on a plane and heading down to the Archbald Biological Station in Venus, Florida where I will join about 35 other people who are taking part in the premiere insect macrophotography workshop of the year: BugShot 2012!**

Whitebanded crab spider, Misumenoides formosipes, snacking on a Sphecid wasp

Three days of workshops, hands-on gear demonstrations, and opportunities to practice in the field and in studio-style settings await me! I am super-pumped and plan to suck up every last drop of knowledge I can manage, not only from the incomparable instructors (Alex Wild, Thomas Shahan and John Abbott) but also from the other participants.

Fishfly, Chauliodes sp.I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all the people who either purchased something from my store or sent in a donation so that I could attend. I never would have managed this trip without your incredible generosity: all together, you helped me raise nearly $800 – enough to cover the registration fee and a chunk of the travel expenses!

Female horse fly 1

I am humbled, touched, and honoured that so many of you reached out to me.  I will, as promised, be blogging and tweeting the event, to share some tips and tricks with all of you. Hopefully I’ll also get a stash of some great photos of Floridian fauna to get me through the winter!

Ironweed Curculio (Rhodobaenus tredecimpunctatus)

___________________________________________

** The photos used in this post are some that I took at the inaugural BugShot workshop in 2011 and haven’t been featured on the blog yet 🙂 The two taken in a “white box” represent my first attempts at this technique, and at using a flash – two great things I learned last year. With a year of practice under my belt, I know I’m going to take away so much more this time around!

9 responses to “BugShot 2012!

1. Alex Wild August 20, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Yay! Looking forward to seeing you soon!

2. dragonflywoman August 20, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Woo, Bug Shot! Looking forward to seeing you again!

3. Sean McCann August 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Sounds like a blast! I hope you have a great time. You should check out a copy of Thomas Eisner’s “For Love of Insects” to bring with you before you go. They probably have one at your school or public library. He did a lot of work at Archbold (note spelling), and it has just great photos of some really cool experiments, many of which were done with insects found at Archbold. . Unfortunately he passed away last year.I think that you and the other participants would get a kick out of seeing this book.
    Say Hi to Warren for me!

If For Love of Insects is not in, “secret Weapons” is also good: http://mcgill.worldcat.org/title/secret-weapons-defenses-of-insects-spiders-scorpions-and-other-many-legged-creatures/oclc/57506693&referer=brief_results

4. Sean McCann August 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM

BTW that crab spider is fabulous.

5. Chris Grinter August 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Jealous! Would love to have made it this year, have fun!

6. scott hogsten August 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Glad you made it, wish I could have made it this year, perhaps next year. We want pictures lots and lots of pictures!